Holiday Safety

It seems like every year a tragedy hits a family around the holiday season. Often times these tragedies are structure fires or carbon monoxide deaths. Most could be avoided. Here are some things to remember for a safe holiday season.

Never overload interior electrical circuits with excessive lights, and be sure that proper extension cords are utilized. Overloaded cords can short out and create a fire hazard.

Only utilize UL listed approved outdoor cords and lighting for outdoor use. Interior lighting is not designed for outdoor use.

Always shut off all lights inside, outside, and on the tree, before going to bed.

Keep trees, decorations, and electrical cords away from heat sources such as: Registers, electric baseboard, fireplaces, wood stoves etc. Over-heated decorations and cords can lead to a fire hazard. Be sure to also keep your live Christmas tree watered. Trees that dry out quickly become fire hazards.

Protect yourself in the event of a fire by ensuring all smoke detectors are properly working and have new batteries. Smoke detectors are recommended for every floor level, next to each bedroom and in hallways and stairwells.

Be sure to have a fire extinguisher handy in your kitchen. Cooking and overloaded circuits can easily create a fire hazard. Having a fire extinguisher nearby may prevent a small fire from getting out of hand and ruining your holiday season. When you purchase an extinguisher review the box for its intended use. An extinguisher designed for a kitchen grease fire may not be the best one suited for an electrical fire. Specific extinguishers have specific usages. Give a friend or loved one for Christmas, A great gift idea. It really shows you care.

Generally this time of year, people utilize all of their heat sources available, which when not properly working, can produce deadly Carbon Monoxide Gas. This is a great time of year, if you don't already have one, to install a Carbon Monoxide Detector. They are relatively cheap and can be purchased at most department and hardware stores. Give a friend one for Christmas, Another great gift idea.

Use space heaters wisely. Always use an electric or fuel filled space heater in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications, especially the ever popular Eden-Pure heaters. These must be kept away from walls to allow for proper air flow into the unit. Without doing so, they will quickly overheat and become a fire hazard.

HAVE A SAFE and MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!